Pensford playground is managed by Pensford Memorial Hall.
The Committee would like to improve the playground as some of the equipment is now quite dated and tired.
A survey of the playground users was undertaken to find out what changes they would like to see to the playground. Children from Pensford Primary School visited the playground with the school and came up with some very exciting ideas including a roller coaster and an ice cream shack. The Committee would like to thank the Headteacher, Mr Barton, for agreeing to take the children and asking them to complete the survey. The survey was closed in November 2016. Based on the responses the Memorial Hall Committee have decided to install an activity trim trail. Planning permission has now been granted for the installation of the new equipment. Permission is also held to extend the playground into the woodland area behind the swings. This will be a wild area for the children to explore. A new bin and better signage will also be added.
During the summer of 2017 the plant border in the playground, which was entirely overgrown and looked dreadful, was given a new lease of life. The border was prepared ready for new planting in June 2017. The new planting was done by 11 thoroughly enthusiastic employees from Bath & North East Somerset Council as part of Volunteers’ Week. The volunteers were just brilliant and the end result is such an improvement. The playground looks a lot more inviting already. The Committee would like to thank all the volunteers for their amazing help.
The Memorial Hall now has successfully raised all the money required for the upgrade. The Memorial Hall are very grateful for all the generous donations and grants received which have funded the new equipment and also will contribute to the ongoing running costs of the playground. These include:
• Our fantastic Ward Councillor Paul May has given £5,250 from his Ward Councillors Initiative
• £1,000 was raised at a very enjoyable summer garden party event organised by the lovely Guilly and Tony Jones
• £400 has been raised from donations by individuals and local businesses with a further £250 received to match fund these from Local Giving.
• The Pensford Miners Coffee shop kindly donated the funds from their Christmas raffle.
• A Magic Little Grant of £500 has been received through the partnership between Local giving and the Postcode Community Trust. The Postcode Community Trust is a grant-giving charity funded entirely by players of People’s Postcode Lottery. For more information on these organisations visits their websites at www.postcodecommunitytrust.org.uk and www.postcodelottery.co.uk
• Burges Salmon, an independent law firm with an office in Bristol, has donated £150 towards the cost of a new bin.
• Thank you to Meg Thomas for allowing us to use her fantastic home to raise money with a Ploughman’s Lunch. This event raised £492 each for the playground and the hall itself.
• The final piece of income came from a fantastic grant of £4,673 from the Big Lottery Fund. The project is shown on the Big Lottery website at www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/funding/search-past-grants/project-details?appid=320052
If you would like to contribute towards the cost of maintaining the playground please donate through Local Giving here or contact the Memorial Hall.
The works are due to be completed in Spring 2018. We will be holding a fun day to celebrate the upgrade to the playground which will be advertised soon. Please come and celebrate with us.
If you would like more information about any of the above please email firstname.lastname@example.org