This page is dedicated to the history of Pensford railway station and viaduct.
The Bristol and North Somerset Railway used to run through Pensford. The line was opened in 1873 initially serving Bristol to Radstock, with services later being extended to Frome. Pensford Station was located in Station Approach and was opened on 3rd September 1873. In 1898, the platforms were extended and a new signal box opened at the southern end of the “up” platform. The line ran almost due south from Bristol to the Somerset coalfield towns and was 16 miles long. The principal traffic was coal and local commuter traffic. Pensford Viaduct is 330 yards long. Its impressive arches still exist today. The station was closed to passengers on 2nd November 1959 and to goods on 15th June 1964.