This page is dedicated to the history of Pensford railway station and viaduct.
The Bristol and North Somerset Railway used to run through Pensford. The line was opened in 1873 initially serving Bristol to Radstock, with services later being extended to Frome. Pensford Station was located in Station Approach and was opened on 3rd September 1873. In 1898, the platforms were extended and a new signal box opened at the southern end of the “up” platform. The line ran almost due south from Bristol to the Somerset coalfield towns and was 16 miles long. The principal traffic was coal and local commuter traffic. Pensford Viaduct is 330 yards long. Its impressive arches still exist today. The station was closed to passengers on 2nd November 1959 and to goods on 15th June 1964.
Click on the images to enlarge
Mr Wyatt, who lived at Salters Brook and later became the Chairman of the Parish Council in the late ’60’s and a District Councillor, was for his working life, the Signalman at the Pensford Station. In 1968 he had the job of showing Prince Philip around the village following the disastrous flood and can be seen in in BBC film footage of the event. Tim Veater [Source: Facebook]
Publow with Pensford Parish Council Official Website